Re: [nmh-workers] Additional things

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] Additional things
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 09:15:51 -0400

>What does friendly{} do exactly?
>mh-format just says "user-friendly rendering".

Hm, I guess we should improve that documentation a bit.

If there's a "personal name" (Anything before <>), then it will return
that.  If there's no personal name but there IS a "note" (comments
string AFTER an email address), it will return that.  If there is neither
of those, it will try to parse the email address as an X400 directory
name and try to extract out a few of the fields from it to return.
If that fails it will just return the bare email address.  Basically,
it's trying to take it's best guess as to what is the real name in an
email address.

I guess in mh-format it would (roughly) be:

        $<(pers{header})%?(note{header})%|%(void(addr{header})%>%(putstr)

If that is any clearer :-)