[nmh-workers] burst behavior

From: Paul Fox
Subject: [nmh-workers] burst behavior
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 11:02:46 -0400

I'm on a list which, for historical reasons, is available only
in digest form.  (Sigh.)

Like many digests, it includes hyphen-rich separator lines in the
trailing text of the digest, causing burst to create a flurry of
malformed messages when it parses according to RFC 934.  Hoping for
the digest creators to start honoring 934 (or convert to mime!) at
this point is clearly just wishful thinking.

An obvious fix (for me) is to pre-process the digest, and
hyphen-escape all lines which follow the "END OF DIGEST" line and
which begin with a '-', by adding an extra '- ' at the start of line.
If I do that, then burst will do the right thing, and ignore all of the
trailer text.

Is there a better/easier way to handle this?

If I were to become extra-ambitious, and create a patch which added a
"-endofdigest" switch which did something similar, would there be
interest?

I think the new code would be something like:
    If the first non-whitespace text after a hyphen separator line is
    a case-insensitive match on "END OF [^ ]* DIGEST.*", then start
    ignoring hyphen separator lines.

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 69.4 degrees)