Re: [nmh-workers] real basic nmh question

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] real basic nmh question
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 12:06:02 -0400

>Originally I figured nmh used the maildir format but apparently the
>maildir format is used by other programs.  I run command line and since
>I'm retired tend to test many things in Linux and learn from that
>testing too.  Also Linux is my main productivity environment.
>I got getmail working when I found most of my braille notes on
>.fetchmailrc were gone and decided to try a fetchmail competitor.  I
>found in getmail the mboxrd type could be used for the inbox then I
>figured I could use nmh with this set up.  Then I found out about the
>different formats.  For now, mutt can't even find my inbox but I'm
>pretty sure nmh won't have any problems with that.

As an additional note, inc(1) can retrieve mail directly from a POP
server (we don't support IMAP just yet).  It can do TLS and advanced
security.  I mention that only because it might be easier if you want
to reduce the number of moving parts.  You have the same choice when it
comes to sending email; nmh can speak authenticated SMTP directly to
a mail server or you can configure it to speak to a local SMTP server
or sendmail instance.