Re: [nmh-workers] Can't forward MIME-encoded message

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] Can't forward MIME-encoded message
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 10:04:01 +0100

Hi Duane,

> Apparently, it depends on whether you define "MIME Message" as
> "Conforms to RFC 2045... or "Contains Readable Mime Data"...

If it does not conform to the RFCs then it doesn't contain readable
MIME.  It contains data that could be interpreted as MIME if assumptions
are made, and that's a bad idea as it promotes deviation from the RFCs
that others then have to also support.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thomson-postel-was-wrong-00

> if I were trying to *detect* a "Mime Message", I would use the
> latter...

Detect a MIME message by following the RFCs.  If that misses too many
malformed MIME messages then adds heuristics to spot those.  In nmh's
case, you're the first source of such malformed messages in the draft
stage.  :-)