Re: [nmh-workers] Autocrypt

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] Autocrypt
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 23:18:25 +0100

Hi Thomas,

> I have been meaning to implement Autocrypt [1] in my nmh configuration

Thanks for the pointer.  I've only read up to
https://autocrypt.org/level1.html#the-autocrypt-header so far, but note

    Autocrypt: address@hidden; [prefer-encrypt=mutual;] keydata=BASE64

    The addr attribute is mandatory, and contains the single recipient
    address this header is valid for.  If this address differs from the
    one in the From header, the entire Autocrypt header MUST be treated
    as invalid.

    The Internet Message Format documents three types of originator
    fields: From, Sender, and Reply-To.  Autocrypt is concerned only
    with the From field, and ignores the other originator fields.

`Internet Message Format' is a link to RFC 5322, but that also has
`3.6.6. Resent Fields' that includes the Resent-From: header that nmh
sometimes uses.  I'd expect to be able to encrypt an email I'm
redistributing with dist(1), leaving the original From: alone, and
appearing in the Resent-From: instead, but that doesn't seem possible
with Autocrypt?

https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy