Re: [nmh-workers] Unnecessary dependency on vi???

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] Unnecessary dependency on vi???
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 14:59:57 -0400

andy wrote:
 > Thus said Paul Fox on Tue, 13 Mar 2018 09:50:24 -0400:
 >
 > > well, part of  me wants to take  offense at that, since  it's not like
 > > vim is completely  compatible with the "real" vi. nvi  is much closer,
 > > in that regard, and should really be  the rewrite that gets to use the
 > > /usr/bin/vi name.
 >
 > As a long-time  nvi user, I'm always annoyed that  vim doesn't work more
 > like vi. :-)

:-)  I confess I haven't used nvi much, but I got the impression from
Keith Bostic (completely unbiased, I'm sure :-) that he'd done a pretty
good job on compatibility.  The big exception that I remember was his
implementation of infinite undo using '.', which broke a corner case
of the redo command, but is so easy to use.  I shamelessly stole that
UI when I implemented infinite undo in vile, and still love it.

On the other hand, I'm impressed that anyone can even remember what
"real" vi was like these days, given how long its been since most
people used it.  though I suppose Solaris still ships it.  For a
couple more years.

paul
paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 36.3 degrees)