Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.7's `make clean' is Overzealous.

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.7's `make clean' is Overzealous.
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 16:38:00 +0000

Hi David,

> Ken wrote:
> > So I think we should simply have the defaults be stock Autoconf
> > directories, and let users who want to segment nmh files off into
> > their own directories do that on their own with standard Autoconf
> > build flags.
>
> +1

Well,
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-Variables.html
says

    libexecdir

    The directory for installing executable programs to be run by other
    programs rather than by users.  This directory should normally be
    /usr/local/libexec, but write it as $(exec_prefix)/libexec.  (If you
    are using Autoconf, write it as address@hidden@’.)

    The definition of ‘libexecdir’ is the same for all packages, so you
  → should install your data in a subdirectory thereof.  Most packages
    install their data under $(libexecdir)/package-name/, possibly
    within additional subdirectories thereof, such as
    $(libexecdir)/package-name/machine/version.

So it seems more that we should slap on `/nmh' if the user hasn't been
explicit?  Given it's the GNU standard, you'd think autoconf would have
better support for it.

> BTW, Ralph, the MACHINES file addresses all the points you raised in
> your message, I think.  Including dependencies on Cygwin.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that.

https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy