Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to mhmail.man

From: Larry Hynes
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to mhmail.man
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 14:19:21 +0000

Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> > > I still don't know how to interpret "non-trivial".
> >
> > i'd say "content", vs. punctuation, formatting, or spelling.  larry's
> > changes wouldn't qualify, IMO.
>
> In the latter bucket I'd also put removing removing double words, adding
> the odd word to improve grammar, swapping some words around, e.g. moving
> `therefore' to the beginning of the sentence, swapping `hence' for
> `thus', s/UNIX/Unix/, etc.
>
> Clarifying -foo is the default.  Adding to the list of profile entries
> used.  They're content.

I find it touching that y'all would like to have a beard-strokingly
intense discussion on what constitutes trivial, when there's gibberish
like this in the man pages, waiting to be fixed:

    The password for POP service when the -sasl switch is used
    with one of these programs is the login name on the local
    machine.

Do I care if the date on the man page changes, so long as this gets
corrected? No. No, I do not. Figure it out among yourselves and let
me know the outcome. I will abide. Do I care that, in proposing
that this gets corrected, my contribution is referred to as trivial
and cosmetic?  No, funnily enough, I don't. Do I care that his
blatant nonsense gets corrected? Yes, passionately.