Re: [Nmh-workers] Environment variables - with or without $?

From: valdis . kletnieks
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Environment variables - with or without $?
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 14:15:09 -0400

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 17:59:07 -0000, Ralph Corderoy said:
> Hi Larry,
>
> No dollar.  I have an environment variable called `$FOO'.

Which shows up that way in 'printenv', and requires the use of $$FOO to
dereference? (Some quick testing with bash 4.4 seems to indicate that
it *really* doesn't want to see $ as the first character of a variable
name.  I had to use 'env' to jam it in there, and accessing it was.. problematic

[~] env '$FOO=27'  printenv | grep FOO
$FOO=27
[~] env '$FOO=27'  bash
[~]1 printenv | grep FOO