Re: [Nmh-workers] Domain Leakage Despite -messageid random.

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Domain Leakage Despite -messageid random.
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 12:02:11 -0500

>Sounds like an old bug that can be ignored, being XP?

I'd hope so, but you never know!

>Other than nmh not making up the header's value as well as it could, I'm
>not seeing much need to nobble Content-ID by default.  It's not causing
>little harm, and there's signs other MUAs add it as a header.

Well, for one it would cut down on the whining from people who are
complaining that their Content-ID header leaks internal hostnames :-)

But ... I did some digging. I can't claim my inbox is representative
... but from what I can see, if you exclude nmh users, the only time I
see other MUAs generate a Content-ID is when they have text/html part
and include a image that is referred to by a "cid" URL in the text/html
content.  Perhaps {al}pine users do generate Content-IDs, but they do so
only for attachments, NOT for all MIME parts (like we do).

As for Christer's problem with Content-ID and exmh ... well, I'm an
exmh user and I haven't noticed that. I'd like to hear more.