Re: [Nmh-workers] Domain Leakage Despite -messageid random.

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Domain Leakage Despite -messageid random.
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 22:04:21 -0500

>> You know, this begs the question ... should we even bother to add a
>> Content-ID header by default?  I am aware of their usefulness for
>> text/html parts and the cid: URL, but that's not really useful unless
>> you know what the Content-ID is going to be and right now you don't
>> really know what it will look like.
>
>One can `mime' and then `edit' at whatnow(1) to see it before sending,
>though further editing needs to tread carefully.  :-)

I know, but ... it seems like nobody would do that.  I see that Content-ID
values are supposed to be globally unique, but I see a few things like
not sure you can, in practice, guarantee that they are globally unique.

>I haven't used it.  But I suppose it does allow just the cid URL schema
>to be used to refer to emails whether MIME parts or the whole email
>instead of having to switch to mid for the latter.

I can see that, but it just seems like nobody really does that; it
occurs to me that if you really care what the content-id is (like you're
sending some HTML email that refers to images in the email) you want
to choose your Content-ID before the message has been completely constructed.

All I'm suggesting is that -nocontentid be the default for mhbuild; if
you want to still generate them, it's an easy change.