Re: [Nmh-workers] Development Questions. check Programs. register.

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Development Questions. check Programs. register.
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 08:28:54 -0400

Ralph wrote:

> OK, I'll add a check-programs target to Makefile.am then so I can do
> `make all check-programs' without running all the tests.

Thanks.

> I've been going for lots of little commits to help bisect.

Thanks!

> Poking around etc/gen-ctype-checked.c and the related code, I've found
> configure's --enable-assert and turned that on.

Odd that configure --help shows --disable-assert, though that's the
default.

> There's --enable-debug too, but that does nothing at the moment?

Yes, that looks like a relic that can be removed.

> Back to ctype.h, can we now assume POSIX, the functions may have macros
> too that may not evaluate arguments more than once;  existing code
> already assumes that.  And tolower(3), for example, returns its argument
> unless isalpha() and isupper(), so that doesn't all need checking first
> to avoid calling it.

Fine with me.

> Can the existing buildbots do varying configurations?  Or perhaps just
> the nippy Ubuntu one?  --enable-assert={yes,no} would be one thing.  And
> CFLAGS -f{,un}signed-char another?  Or is one of the three platforms
> already known to be signed?

I don't think any of the current buildbot hosts use signed char.  Maybe
Solaris did?  In any case, it's off-line now.

Based on an old commit comment, the arm7 host uses unsigned-char.

I always build with --enable-assert.