Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.6: character set checks and exmh compatibility

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.6: character set checks and exmh compatibility
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 10:29:13 -0400

>For the moment, I've worked around the problem by launching exmh (and
>nothing else) in en_US.utf8 locale, so that the nmh calls all inherit
>that.  But I regard that as a hack not a fix.  It affects directory
>listings done by exmh, e.g. in save-to-file dialogs, and there may be
>other side-effects as well; I haven't been using this workaround for
>long enough to know.

If things like the ls sorting order is your concern, as others have
pointed out you could simply just use LC_CTYPE; that shouldn't affect
any collation ordering.

>All of these solutions presuppose that this is my problem and not the
>software's.  I respectfully disagree.  I would like it to "just work"
>whether or not there are stray UTF8 characters.

I do not know how we could make it "just work".  The OLD solution was to
send out incorrectly-formatted messages; that's simply not a reasonable
option anymore.  It wasn't really a reasonable option for 20 years,
honestly, but we're kind of slow with regards to that.  You don't want to
tell nmh what the character set is (the locale is the EASIEST option,
but there are others - all of them involve you changing something).