Re: [Nmh-workers] customizing templates

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] customizing templates
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 10:25:37 -0400

>hi there. Just started using nmh and I must say I love it.

Well, thanks!  Always good to have a new user.

>I'm at the stage where I'd like to customise the templates a little.

So, these are written in a kind of strange little language.  It's documented
relatively completely in mh-format(5).  As of 1.6 we include fmttest(1)
which you can use to help debug your format script.

>My components template file has the line
>
>%<{from}%|%(void(localmbox))%>%(void(width))%(putaddr From: )
>
>How can I change that to: "for From: use the address passed
>as the -from switch, or use address@hidden

Well, that already pretty much does that.  The %(localmbox) entry uses
the Local-Mailbox profile entry (there is a fallback generated based on
your local username and hostname).  So if you put:

Local-Mailbox: My Name <address@hidden>

It should do exactly what you want.

>In the same way, my replcomp template has the line
>
>%(void(localmbox))%(void(width))%(putaddr From: )
>
>How can I change that to: "for From: use the "Delivered-to:"
>header or address@hidden

Well, the manual would explain that, but it's pretty dense.  Here's
something that should work:

%<{delivered-to}%|%(void(localmbox))%>%(void(width))%(putaddr From: )

Again, check out mh-format(5) and fmttest(1); the former explains the
syntax, the latter shows you what the script is doing.  You also might find
the information in Jerry Peek's book useful; it's old, but most of it is
still relevant:

        http://rand-mh.sourceforge.net/book/