Re: [Nmh-workers] Sending Binary Attachments

From: Bob Carragher
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Sending Binary Attachments
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 03:29:13 -0700

On Thu, 12 May 2016 19:08:46 -0400 Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> sez:

> >on batsu at Sat Dec 1 11:08:10 UTC 2012]"), but I use a large
> >value for -maxunencoded in my $HOME/.mh_profile to prevent MH
> >from base64-encoding my (100% 7-bit text) messages when they
> >include long lines.
>
> I sure hope you mean "quoted-printable" instead of base64.  I
> don't think we would ever do base64 on text, unless you
> explicitly told it to.

Whoops!  I sure did!

> >Specifically:
> >
> >     mhbuild: -maxunencoded 9999
> >
> >This has not been a problem for me until I used the "attach"
> >option suggested by this thread:  when I then used "send" I get:
> >
> >     What now? s
> >     mhbuild: -maxunencoded unknown
>
> Ah, okay.  TWO problems.  The first problem is ....
> -maxunencoded is not supported for 1.5!  So you getting this
> error message is TOTALLY expected, and is not a bug.  Bob, I
> have to ask ... was nmh encoding long lines a problem for you?
> Before it would always do it, but ONLY when you ran mhbuild.
> As of 1.6 mhbuild is always run, but that wasn't done for 1.5;
> it was only run if you asked for it (like when you use attach).
>
> The second problem is that if you were running 1.6, you'd get
> this:
>
> What now? s
> mhbuild: limit of -maxunencoded is 998
>
> Which is relatively self-explanatory (the limit for line length
> in messages is 1000, so subtracting a CR-LF gets you to 998).

First of all, *thanks* for the note about the 998 max.  I've
updated my .mh_profile.

Second, and more importantly:  I likely imagined having the
quoted-printable problem, and was attempting to prevent that from
happening once I did upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6.  (Of course, the
suggestion to use -maxunencoded was made on the mailing list back
in *2014* ....  I've been slow.  B-)  I don't think I run mhbuild
at all -- though I thought it was run automatically -- which
might explain why I haven't seen this error message until now.

Thanks for clearing this up, Ken!

                                Bob