Re: [Nmh-workers] Future directions for nmh

From: Paul Vixie
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Future directions for nmh
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 18:14:04 -0700

Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
On Mar 16, 2016, at 6:04 PM, Paul Vixie<address@hidden>  wrote:

prayer is the simplest and faster webmail system i ever found for my family's
use while traveling.

But. How. Does webmail have anything to do with this?

webmail and mh both have a fork+exec before every operation, thus the need to keep an IMAP session open persistenly across many fork+exec's.

if MH could proxy its IMAP operations through a daemon running on a unix domain socket or the loopback interface, then we could idealize the RPC API between MH and that daemon. one thought is restful json.

i mentioned prayer webmail because it's an extremely high quality C implementation of this idea, and has an MH-compatible license.

i bring up this proxying idea because i'd be the first to write a proxy that spoke Maildir instead of IMAP, and ken would be the first to write a proxy that spoke MH-Dir, at which point the whole existing MH code base would be simpler and more modular than it is now.

--
P Vixie