Re: [Nmh-workers] Future directions for nmh

From: Andy Bradford
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Future directions for nmh
Date: 10 Mar 2016 08:34:05 -0700

Thus said Ken Hornstein on Wed, 09 Mar 2016 10:18:04 -0500:

> 1) I do not think converting and storing incoming messages as UTF-8 is
>    wise. In terms of just simplicity  alone I think messages should be
>    stored (somewhere) in their on-the-wire format;

I too agree with  this position. The email that nmh  writes into my Mail
folder should not differ from the message that my MTA queued on disk.

> 4) In terms of alternate mail stores, be they Maildir or IMAP (I think
>    those  are the  two major  candidates now,  right?), I  think those
>    ideas are  interesting. The #1 problem  with those ideas is  how to
>    map MH  message numbers (which  can range 1-MAXINT, with  holes) to
>    the  internal key  used by  those mail  stores; everything  else is
>    relatively easy to deal with.

What's  wrong with  the  way nmh  does it  today?  Maildir is  certainly
superior for  some of the reasons  detailed below, but nmh's  Mail store
isn't very far off:

http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html

Also, I'm confused why Maildir and  IMAP are both alternate mail stores.
Email is stored  on server in a  Maildir and accessed via  IMAP. I don't
see them as mutually exclusive.

Thanks,

Andy
--