Re: [Nmh-workers] Maybe time for a new release?

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Maybe time for a new release?
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 15:47:50 -0500

>we would also have to forbid sortm. i think that way lies madness, since
>UID's are often 7 and 8 digit numbers, bad for human consumption.

+1

>the earlier suggestion to maintain a mapping between message numbers as
>seen by the MH toolset and UID's seen by IMAP, makes sense to me. though
>for Maildir i don't know if there are UID's.

My reading of the maildir specification (such that it is) says that the
filename before the colon should be unique.  Although ... despite what
people say, it seems like Maildir is not really designed to be a mail
_store_ (someplace where you keep your mail long-term) but more of a
mail drop box (someplace you put messages so someone else can come along
and grab them).  Like, the original Maildir specification did not permit
subfolders (it looks like there is something called Maildir++, which does).