[Nmh-workers] Maybe time for a new release?

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: [Nmh-workers] Maybe time for a new release?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 19:25:05 -0500

I've been itching to do some MIME refactoring, and by "refactoring" I
mean completely doing a new message/MIME parser from the ground up,
based on flex/bison (at least parse headers using flex, maybe address
parsing via bison ... we'll see) and have a completely new internal API.
See "full MIME integration" email and "vague, undefined thoughts on nmh
MIME processing" in the archives if you want an idea.

But ... the Real World™ keeps getting in the way.  And this (at least in
my mind) is going to be a major shakeup.  Which makes me think before we
completely change the world, maybe we should cut a new release.  The
last release was in June of 2014, and while I haven't been doing much
in that time David Levine has been quietly adding new features and stomping
on bugs.  So maybe it makes sense to draw a line in the sand now and say,
"Hey, this is the last release under the old MIME code".  Or if that
doesn't happen, we'll do another "last release".  Or we'll just keep
limping along with our crappy MIME code (I sure hope not).

The two things I think that should be worked on for a new release is
fixing the problem when during message display iconv() fails to convert
a character (just substitute a '?' is fine, I think) and bringing over
the XOAUTH2 code that Eric Gillespie did (I've been meaning to do it
because it is a lot of work that I'd hate to lose).  The first issue,
at least, should be easy.

What do people think of this idea?  If you like this idea, is there
anything else you want fixed before a new release?  I am thinking this
would have enough to be called 1.7.