Re: [Nmh-workers] problem compiling nmh 1.6 on linux gentoo

From: covici
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] problem compiling nmh 1.6 on linux gentoo
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 12:15:31 -0500

I did a make clean because I wanted to remove all the object files to
compile with possibly different shared libraries -- when trying to use
nmh after an update this morning, it could not load some shared library
and so I thought to do make clean and then ./configure and then make,
but I guess for your software that is not correct.

I am using gcc 4.9.3 as my compiler.

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> wrote:

> >Well, that did not work, it kept regenerating the file all over again, so I
> >emptied the directory and untarred the file and it worked.  I think my
> >mistake was doing a make clean, but you still might want to fix a bug.
>
> Ah, you did a 'make clean' BEFORE building everything?  Okay, that makes
> sense; our 'clean' target removes sbr/dtimep.c.  The comment in the
> Makefile.am says:
>
> ## automake 1.12.6 on FreeBSD 9 needs the sbr/dtimep.c.
>
> That was added by David Levine so 'make distcheck' succeeded.
> Normally we don't expect anyone to run a 'make clean' after running
> configure (I'm trying to figure out why you would want to do that).
>
> However ... the resulting problem is not, I believe, our fault.
>
> If you do a 'make clean' or otherwise remove sbr/dtimep.c, it is
> generated by lex or flex (probably flex) that is shipped on _your_
> system.  In your case, the resulting output was not able to be compiled
> by the compiler that exists on your system.  I don't really see how we
> could be expected to fix that, nor do I even know how we COULD fix that.
> Personally I think it's rather unfriendly for a tool like lex/flex to
> generate C99 comments, but clearly they didn't ask me.
>
> --Ken

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici