Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh architecture discussion: format engine character s

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh architecture discussion: format engine character set
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 12:04:53 -0400

>> - For _display_, try to convert all of the characters to the native
>> character set (yes, using the locale, dammit!).
>
>OK.  Is that using POSIX, or does it require something extra?

POSIX includes iconv(), which is adequate.  If the Unicode library we
need to use has a charset conversion API that is better, we should
use that (my beef with iconv() is that you cannot give a substitution
character, which requires some awkward handling for dealing with
substitution characters).

>> - Reconvert such messages to 'canonical' standard while sending.
>> Well, I think just for addresses; leaving everything else as an
>> encoded word might not be harmful.  But I'd have to think about it.
>
>The only thing I can think of is if something somewhere suggests a
>preferred format when multiple are valid, like an ASCII subject should
>be just the subject.  Kind of like how it's annoying Android base64s
>bodies IIRC.

AFAIK, this shouldn't be a concern; we already have a fair amount of
code that produces the 'minimal' encoding (e.g., we don't use base64
or q-p unless it's a requirement).