Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf has me Baffled.

From: Martin G. McCormick
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf has me Baffled.
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 20:43:31 -0500

Ken Hornstein writes:
> Technically ... this is not valid.  It should be either sendmail/smtp
> or sendmail/pipe (just "sendmail" is an alias to sendmail/smtp).
>
> >     sendmail: /usr/local/bin/sendmail
>
> You didn't indent this in mts.conf config file, did you?

As a matter of fact, it is indented, not on purpose but nonetheless, indented.
That fixed the problem of ignoring the change.

        It seems as though everything regarding out-bound mail
is kicking and screaming to the last millimeter so now, my new roadblock
looks like the following which is the same for either /pipe or
/smtp:

What now? send
post: problem initializing server; [BHST] premature end-of-file on pipe
send: message not delivered to anyone

What now?

My question exactly.:-)

I have probably been using nmh for close to
20 years and it's flexibility is much appreciated. Most of those
years were from work where I could simply set it up to be a
fully-functioning mail host in that it did not need a smarthost
configuration. I retired in March and am trying to use my ISP's
resources which are very good to get the same look and feel I
had as a full mailhost. The incoming mail is working greatly with
fetchmail and procmail. I finally got msmtp to authenticate and
send mail through the ISP's smtp server so all that's left is to
get nmh talking to msmtp like it normally does to sendmail.

        The only reason I am using msmtp is that someone on
another list recommended it. It is relatively easy to setup and
one can eaves-drop on the authentication process which is
absolutely necessary as there are so many ways for things to go
wrong. I am all ears for any other suggestion for a MTA that
does TLS authentication and can be monitored to debug
authentication sequences. So close but no cigar yet.

Thanks for your help. Eventually, we should run out of snags and
things should just work again.

Martin McCormick