Re: [Nmh-workers] Emails being tagged as spam -- NMH solution???

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Emails being tagged as spam -- NMH solution???
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 15:58:21 -0500

>As you can probably see from this message's header, my nominal
>email provider is Google (@gmail.com) but my ISP is Comcast.  In
>particular, they are not the same domain.  Nor are my Google
>account's username and my machine's login ID the same (for
>historical reasons).  So, even though I set up as much of my
>composed message's header to reflect the @gmail.com account, it's
>pretty clear that it's coming from someone else.  Hence, the
>tagging of them by aggressive filters as spam.

So, it might be useful to figure out exactly what is causing the spam
tagging, and work on that.  I know that this is sometimes hard to
discover.

I can only say that this email has one domain, but is being submitted
to another domain and AFAIK, I get caught in zero spam filters ... at
least, that's what I can tell.

>Note:  since my machine login ID is a pretty common one, to avoid
>my emails bounces going to someone else accidentally I set up
>sendmail to specify my domain as @localhost.localdomain.  This no
>doubt also contributes to the spam-tagging.

Well, I guess I would wonder what the effects of that are.  First off,
I see your message-id has "@localhost.localdomain" in it; if I had to
guess, I would think that would be one of the biggest things that
spam filters are being triggered by in your case.  Also ... I don't
understand why you would need to do this to stop email bounces.  Your
bounces should be going to the envelope-from address, and that looks like
it is set correctly.

>I'm guessing that one "simple" solution might be to purchase my
>own domain, and then register it with GMail as an "equivalent
>address" to "validate" my emails as non-spam.  I'd like to avoid
>this if possible.

So my configuration is that I do not use sendmail at all; I have nmh do
authenticated SMTP directly to the mail server I send stuff through.  I
think that if you did that you'd be in much better shape; for starters,
your message-id would be a lot better.  You might have to do slight
tweaking to get that to work right with gmail (like enabling your
account for "insecure" applications), but I believe it should work fine
with the stock nmh.

We have contribued work from Eric Gillespie to support the XOAUTH protocol
used by gmail; it's on my list of things to integrate, but it's kind of
complicated and I haven't yet had the time to figure it out.