Re: [Nmh-workers] .mh_profile question

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] .mh_profile question
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 10:07:10 -0800 (PST)

If we had infinite volunteer resources, what about creating a
completely new (and unified across all of MH) language?  It would
be accessed through a new file other than .mh_profile -- say,
.mh_new_profile, but better named.  B-)

This was the motivation for the lmh branch in the git repo. This is a sandbox where I am experimenting with replacing mh-format and the current configuration schemes with embedded lua.

mh-format would be replaced with lua's formatted I/O routines. Choosing which of several multipart/alternatives to display could be handled by a lua function that considers both the sender and the content types.

The downside is it make a complete break from the past. Throw away all your config files, and count on pretty much all of the command-line APIs breaking in incompatible ways.

I think it's high time we did this, but there's a lot of experimentation to be done to come up with a clean new design. And it's going to take time.

I haven't had much time to put in to this over the last couple of months, but I'm hoping to sit down soon and implement an initial replacement for the .mh_profile configuration parser.

--lyndon