Re: [Nmh-workers] semantics of mhshow -type and -part

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] semantics of mhshow -type and -part
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 19:46:10 +0000

Hi,

kre wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> >  msg part  type/subtype              size description
> >   27       multipart/mixed           1534
> >      1     multipart/alternative      845
> >      1.1   text/enriched               33
> >      1.2   text/html                  295
> >      1.3   text/plain                  30
> >      2     application/x-zip-compre    57 Dummy Attachment
> >
> > what should "mhshow -type text/enriched -type text/plain" do?  mh
> > currently just shows one of them.  again, i feel it should show
> > both, but again, your (and ralph's) reasoning presumably says no.

`mhshow -type text/plain -type image/png' should show no parts except
those two.  And if there's a multipart/alternative and it contains both
of those then the normal multipart/alternative rule applies;  the sender
ranked them by order and I get just one or else I'd see duplicate
content.

> Treat multiple -type or -part switches almost as if they were separate
> invocations of mhshow - if I ask for two types, I generally want to
> get shown two parts (the difference from two separate mhshows would be
> if both -types or a -type and -part (or even two -parts but that is
> unlikely) happen to select the same element of the message.  In that
> case, show it just once.

I have wanted to store both text/plain and text/html from a folder of
emails on a regular basis so someone else can browse them, and used two
mhstores to do so.  That comes back to an `all alternatives' switch.