Re: [Nmh-workers] MH-W intro/help request

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] MH-W intro/help request
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 10:23:29 -0500

Ken wrote:

> (I wonder if a sequence can be completely numeric?  Maybe)

If I understand your question:  sequence names must start with a
letter.  Fortunately.  That's documented in mh-sequence(5) and
enforced by the code:

    $ mark -seq 42 last
    mark: illegal sequence name: 42
    $ echo $?
    1

> Okay, fine, clearly that's possible ... but the code is not
> structured to take advantage of that.

Agreed.  Also, the space-time tradeoffs we'd make now would be
different than those that were made 30+ years ago, and would
no doubt significantly affect that code structure.

pick now calls folder_read() twice:  could we remove one of
them, at least sometimes?  The first read is without
locking, which is good.  But I don't know if we can reliably
bypass the second one for cases where the sequences file was
already up to date.  And I don't know if it'd be worth the
complexity to try.