Re: [Nmh-workers] iCalendar support

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] iCalendar support
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 13:14:55 -0500

Michael wrote:

> It seems to me that icalendar information is very self-contained.
> In particular, the email addresses of the organizer and attendees
> are contained in the event information.  The actual mail header
> doesn't have anything in it that can be trusted for response
> purposes.  For example, the 'From:' address might well refer to a
> calendar server rather than a real person.

I hadn't thought of that.  Do you see it in practice?
It'd be a bit messy to extract the Organizer address and
still use a components file for the reply.

> So I don't understand how 'repl' can add anything useful
> to some hypothetical code that can extract all the interesting
> information from the event entry and prepare a reply.

Well, repl takes care of getting the message from the folder,
annotation, setting up an Fcc:, invoking whatnow, etc.  And
it lets the user add a message along with the iCalendar reply.

On the other hand, I could see creating a separate program
program because I was expecting to use shell aliases anyway,
to override my cc setting and to not include the message body.
If the Organizer address is needed for the reply, then that
would tip things in favor of a separate program, I think.

> Or am I missing the point entirely?

No, though I understand the motivation to generalize repl.