Re: [Nmh-workers] What are and what should be the qualifications for a c

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] What are and what should be the qualifications for a current nmh user
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 19:36:25 +0000

Hi Ken,

> But if you read the rest of the note, in terms of Unix utilities all
> that is really mentioned is using your favorite text editor ("e" and
> Word Perfect are mentioned!) to compose messages.

Wouldn't sed and grep examples be a bit off-topic once it's been made
clear they're text files?

BTW, I think there was a paper that first alerted me to MH about
handling hundreds of emails a day as part of a support desk.  Anyone
know what it is?

> But MIME has sort of changed the game; nowadays messages are a lot
> more complicated than they were back then, so I'm unsure how to make
> traditional UNIX text processing work in the general case.

Like this.  http://man.cat-v.org/plan_9/4/upasfs

To be cross-platform it can't be a filesystem, but given cheap storage I
imagine a command to sync. the mail store with the MIME mirror would be
possible, and it wouldn't have to re-create it from scratch each time.
Some users might even choose to hook updating it with emails arriving in
folders.

Or perhaps the time has come to switch stores to one with a similar
structure to upasfs's?