Re: [Nmh-workers] Thoughts: header/address parsing

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Thoughts: header/address parsing
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 14:36:32 -0400

>There's been many detours along the way so I could be confused, but I
>think including it means formatting that attempts to fill the rest of
>the terminal's line stops one short of the end, thus not triggering the
>terminal's automatic right margin, assuming it has `am' or `sam'
>terminfo capability.  You can see the difference by turning them off.
>[...]

I am not the expert here ... but it looks like to me (after some
experimentation with exactly 1 data point, an xterm), if you print a
character in the last column but follow it with a newline, you don't
get two newlines.  I have the feeling that there was no concious decision
to make the format engine print columns one less than the terminal width,
it was just that they counted every byte as one character and a newline
was a byte.  I think it should work out the same even if automatic margins
are on or off, right?

>How aware of the terminal are output routines?

Prior to 1.6, all they knew was the terminal width.  As part of 1.6, they
gained a few new instructions that would use some terminfo routines to
extract out terminal sequences to set color, terminal hilighting, etc.