Re: [Nmh-workers] (no subject)

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] (no subject)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 09:01:02 -0400

Ken wrote:

> [David:]
> >The parts are stored in reverse order in the message to make
> >them easier to view with non-MIME-conformant viewers.  That is
> >irrelevant to a user of mhlist/mhstore.  Why expose it?
>
> I guess it's all about what you mean by "reverse" order.

The same as RFC 2046 ยง5.1.4 means.

> So, why expose it?  Well, everywhere else we display the exact MIME
> structure as it exists in the message.

We do here, too.

Maybe my point about non-MIME-conformant viewers isn't
coming through.  When using MIME tools, I want the MIME
structure that the tools, such as mhshow, use.  When using
less(1), I get what's in the file, but I'm on my own to
impose any kind of structure on it.

> I found the exception for multipart/alternative confusing, and it's
> non-obvious behavior if you know about MIME.

I disagree, especially after seeing the rationale in the RFC.

> I wasn't actually proposing to change just mhlist; what would happen
> would be to simply delete the reverse_parts() function.

Please don't.

> I would have done it back when I first discovered this,

And maybe there's an nmh user out there who's glad you didn't :-)