Re: [Nmh-workers] New mh-mime(7) man page

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] New mh-mime(7) man page
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 21:01:18 -0700

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> writes:

>>s/conjuction/conjunction/.  I'm more used to the convention where the
>>first time a command is mentioned it is by man page, e.g. "mhlist(1)
>>will display...".  Afterwards, it's just "mhlist".  Then there is no
>>need to say "See the... man page" as the reference, including section,
>>has already been given.
>>
>>    See the send(1) man page for details...
>>
>>Likewise, it's "See send(1) for details".  The (1) convention means the
>>reader knows it's a man page.
>
> Fair enough, I went back and forth on that.  There is not a lot of
> consistency I had to go on, but I think you're right and I'll change that.
> However, what do people think about the first time a command is mentioned
> to give a man page reference?

I think I'd agree with Ralph. It is done that way in the bash man page.

>>    SEE ALSO
>>        nmh(7), mhbuild(1), comp(1), repl(1), whatnow(1), mh-format(5)
>>
>>Missing full stop.

No, that list is not a sentence nor other form that requires a period.
If you are citing a book or article, then you would use a full stop per
the Chicago Manual of Style, for example. See the ssh man page that
shows both forms in a single SEE ALSO section.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden> aka <address@hidden>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/