Re: [Nmh-workers] I like neither green eggs and ham nor MIME

From: norm
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] I like neither green eggs and ham nor MIME
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 10:14:45 -0700

(Note. This Email did not require any copying or pasting)

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> writes:
>>7. Stored the result in UTF-8.
>
>I think this the problem.  What you sent out was definitely NOT UTF-8, but
>ISO-8859-1.  Which makes me think your editor, or maybe something before
>the text got to your editor, was the problem.
>
>>UTF-8 has the virtue that it represents ASCII characters in ASCII. But now you
>>tell me that not even UTF-8 is good enough. So what format do you want me to
>>use to for writing EMail destined text?
>
>Well ... here was a case where what you sent was probably not what you
>intended; the email indicated that the text content was in UTF-8, but
>the actual bytes were ISO-8859-1.  I, personally, do not case whether or
>not you send out email in UTF-8, or ISO-8859-1, or KOI8-R.  All I care
>about is that the charset that your email is labelled actually matches
>the bytes in your email (since I'm UTF-8, my nmh installation can handle
>pretty much any character set); I'd presume you care about that as well,
>because if they mismatch then people won't be interpreting your email
>properly.  For what it's worth, it's relatively straightforward to
>override the character set on a per-message basis.
>
>In the larger sense, I want people to be able to use nmh effectively,
>and to be able to read and compose mail with international character sets.
>In a perfect world, it would work perfectly for everyone out of the box;
>we're not quite there yet.  If it's not working for someone, I'd like
>to understand why so we can make it better.  That's why I'm asking what
>went wrong here.  But this doesn't sound fundamentally like a nmh problem;
>it sounds like something went wrong between where you took the text
>from my original message and incorporated it into your reply.

Please bear with me; I trying hard to understand.  Which of the following,
if any, is true:

1. When my editor stores characters in UTF-8, they are sometimes not the
characters I see it displaying.

2. My Editor is not storing in UTF-8.

3. My Editor is storing in UTF-8, but the message specications do not say
that.

    Norman Shapiro