Re: [Nmh-workers] odd 1.6 behavior

From: Jon Steinhart
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] odd 1.6 behavior
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 20:32:50 -0700

Ken Hornstein writes:
> >What problem were you solving by breaking this?
>
> You mean OTHER than the completely horrible, lousy, absolutely terrible
> MIME handling that mhshow has out of the box on pretty much any modern
> email you're likely to receive today?
>
> You can read the thread here where this was discussed:
>
>   http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2014-03/msg00030.html
>
> There were no objections to this change.  There was other discussion about
> this change, but it was mostly about tweaking or adding to it (and fixing
> a few bugs that were introduced along the way).
>
> --Ken

OK, took a look.  The thread doesn't clearly indicate to me that things were
going to be broken as opposed to the addition of a new feature.  Remember me?
I'm the don't-break-stuff guy.

I think that this is pretty broken from a user perspective.  Not the current
change, but having both show and mhshow.  I would just use mhshow for everything
except that it doesn't do next and prev.  And I can't use show for everything
because it doesn't understand -part.  Well, it sort of since "show -part 1"
makes message number 1 the current message but that's not the result that I
expected either.  And "show -part 2" gives and error message and sets cur to 2.
Seems like a bug.

So while I have no time to pay attention to this or do any work at the moment,
it seems like this is a step along the path to what I suggested years ago.  I
would be happier if mhshow got consumed by show.  And happier still if the
resultant program could have next and prev arguments to -part so that I could
have aliases like nextp which would be "show -part next".  Would eliminate the
pain of having to read and type in part numbers.

Jon