Re: [Nmh-workers] modernizing smtp message submission

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] modernizing smtp message submission
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 22:11:12 -0400

Ken wrote:

> Also ... when you say "TLS", do you mean via the "STARTTLS" command,
> or TLS-at-connect?

A thought about TLS-at-connect (send/post -initialtls):
should we enable it by default if submitting to port 465?  If
a goal is to make things easier for the user, this could be
one less configuration setting to worry about.  It doesn't
make sense to try to use port 465 without encryption, but
the user could override with -notls if that's wrong.

We won't find standards support for it:  465 for SMTPS was
revoked by IANA (in 1998!) and reassigned to another service.
But as long as AT&T (I know), Verizon (I think), and whoever
else require it, we're stuck with it.