Re: [Nmh-workers] Search order of the lines in .mh_profile

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Search order of the lines in .mh_profile
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 11:01:49 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
 > Right now, all but the first line, of .mh_profile, assigning a given variable
 > is silently ignored. This seems wrong to me. All but the last assignment
 > should be ignored. Maybe an admonish message should be issued then.
 >
 > But multiple assignment to the same variable, is almost always a user error.

(by "same variable", i assume you mean "profile entry"?)

 > So maybe the program (i.e. pretty much every nmh command) should then abort.

i disagree.  the system copy of mhn.defaults contains fallback
definitions, and the user is free to override those with entries in
.mh_profile or with $MHSHOW or $MHSTORE.  that's the whole point of
having one's own copy.  it would be very clumsy if one couldn't
do that without causing an error.

or perhaps i misunderstand.

paul