Re: [Nmh-workers] Resolution of getline() portability issues

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Resolution of getline() portability issues
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 16:19:46 -0400

ken wrote:
 > Guys, remind me .... I know Paul committed the code to switch from fgets
 > to getline(), but it doesn't seem like any of the code for a getline
 > replacement was introduced.  Is that correct?
 >
 > On that note ... what do people think of bringing that code from master
 > to the 1.6 branch?  Outputting NULs as 7bit seems like a bug to me, but
 > I wonder how common that is; I'm on the fence about bringing over to 1.6.

the bugs are worse than that -- the input is read incorrectly, since the buffer
returned by fgets() has embedded nulls that terminate it prematurely.

but i'm with david -- i think it can soak until 1.7.

btw, i didn't claim my fgets() cleanup was complete.  for example,
mhbuild still uses it when parsing the draft, for instance.  that
involves cleaning up callers of fgetstr(), which seemed like a big and
error-prone job.  (that's from memory.)

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 60.8 degrees)