Re: [Nmh-workers] My .mh_profile

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] My .mh_profile
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 09:04:12 -0400

> >If I try to attach my .mh_profile, the MIME type comes out as
> >application/x-symlink: it's a symlink because it makes it easier to
> >keep it under version control. Otherwise, the file contents are fully
> >expanded for the attachment. We should perhaps be adding the -L (or
> >--dereference) option in combination with --mime-type.
>
> Hm.  I see David committed a change for that, but at least according
> to the man page on my system:
>
>      -L, --dereference
>              option causes symlinks to be followed, as the like-named option
>              in ls(1) (on systems that support symbolic links).  This is the
>              default behavior.
>
> Ah, I see on another system:
>
>      -L, --dereference
>              option causes symlinks to be followed, as the like-named option
>              in ls(1) (on systems that support symbolic links).  This is the
>              default if the environment variable POSIXLY_CORRECT is defined.

Solaris file(1) doesn't support -L (or POSIXLY_CORRECT).  It
supports -h to override its default behavior of following
symlinks.  Mac could do that now, also, though it would lose
backward compatibility and compat legacy support.

We don't use Solaris file anyway because it doesn't support
--mime-type.