Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow complaints

From: epg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow complaints
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 09:53:04 -0700

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> writes:

> Geez Eric, you could have brought this all up when during all of the
> thrashing around about mhshow changes BEFORE 1.6 was branched ...

Heh, I admitted as much.  I don't have as much time as I'd like
to spend on such things.  Sorry.

> But I'll be honest; I have never in my life seen a message like
> that.

Looks like these are mostly from mailchimp.

> Messages containg multiple MIME-Versions are pretty much bogus; I think
> it's okay to issue a warning about that.  It seems like something has
> gone wrong there.

I'm curious: how is this worse than the extra semi-colon?
They both violate a standard, but neither are so corrupt as to be
un-displayable by nmh, mutt, or Gmail.

> For once we get that right.  Just assuming that an unknown message type
> is text isn't right.

On another message mhshow writes this to my pager:

[ part 1.2 - image/png - image001.png ]
[ part 2 - application/pdf - Preapp disclosures.pdf  ]
[ part 3 - application/pdf - Preapplication documents.pdf  ]

At the very least, all unknown types should be handled that way,
rather than writing a message to stderr that is overlooked at
best and interferes with the pager at best.

mutt does a nice job, btw: