Re: [Nmh-workers] A useless but interesting exercise: Design MH from scr

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] A useless but interesting exercise: Design MH from scratch in the 2014 context
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 21:35:55 -0800

On Feb 22, 2014, at 21:20, Paul Vixie <address@hidden> wrote:

> given the number of messages in my mail repo whose bodies are in
> quoted-printable or base64, or which have attachments that are binary, i've
> only been able to access my stored mail, or indeed inbound mail containing
> commands of some kind, with perl's "MIME" modules for some time now.

There is nothing that says we cannot undo transport encodings for text/* parts
when we write store a message into a folder.

And despite the prevalence of QP and base64, I still find grep works quite well
for me.  Anything text/* that is all base64 is almost always spam, so the
base64 encoding is actually a 'feature' for me, ensuring the message doesn't
generate a false positive match for what I am really looking for.

If we undid the transport encodings for text/* and converted everything to
utf8, you could then, e.g., alias mhgrep='env LC_ALL=en_CA.UTF-8 grep'.

--lyndon