Re: [Nmh-workers] Default and selectable Content-Transfer-Encoding issue

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Default and selectable Content-Transfer-Encoding issues
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 23:48:15 +0000

Hi Ken,

> Thinking about this more ... it seems like there's really a setting
> unrelated to 7bit/8bit; it's more about what you do when you run into
> a long (>76) line.  The RFCs generally suggest that's a no-no.  If you
> have long lines, that suggests to me that the default should be QP.
> Otherwise it can be 7/8bit as appropriate.  And we want a setting to
> allow 7bit/8bit even with long lines (unsure what that option should
> be called, though).

heirloom-mailx's mail(1) has

    maximum-unencoded-line-length
        Messages that contain lines longer than the value of this
        variable are encoded in quoted-printable even if they contain
        only ASCII characters.  The maximum effective value is 950.  If
        set to 0, all ASCII text messages are encoded in
        quoted-printable.  S/MIME signed messages are always encoded in
        quoted-printable regardless of the value of this variable.

Don't know if that helps.  Perhaps it could default to 76 and all of us
will just crank it up to the max, being sure that we're under sendmail's
break-line-with-a-! limit.