Re: [Nmh-workers] Default and selectable Content-Transfer-Encoding issue

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Default and selectable Content-Transfer-Encoding issues
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:00:51 -0500

>I'd favour 8bit over QP too, even if lines are longer than 76.  QP as
>little as possible, really.

Making that a configurable option, okay, I'm fine with that (obviously
if you manually select a CTE, that's what it will be).  But what about
as a default?  I'm fine with power users picking to always do 8bit for
long lines.

The reason I ask is that it's well understood in this day and age that
QP text can be paragraph-reflowed.  I've never come up with a good algorithm
for when the text is NOT QP.  Should that text be reflowed for replies?
It just seems like the wrong thing to do out of the box.

Thinking about this more ... it seems like there's really a setting
unrelated to 7bit/8bit; it's more about what you do when you run into
a long (>76) line.  The RFCs generally suggest that's a no-no.  If you
have long lines, that suggests to me that the default should be QP.
Otherwise it can be 7/8bit as appropriate.  And we want a setting to
allow 7bit/8bit even with long lines (unsure what that option should be
called, though).