Re: [Nmh-workers] Deprecating MM_CHARSET

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Deprecating MM_CHARSET
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 18:33:13 -0500

>Please leave it in for now.  I am muddling through a Plan 9 port, whose
>POSIX emulation doesn't grok locales.  Being able to turn this off is
>helping with the initial port.

So, I'm not the Plan 9 expert by any means, but according to the man page
for pcc:

        http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/pcc

It says the "locale manipulation functions are minimal".  We don't really
care about MANIPULATING the locale.  What we really do is call at the
beginning of each program:

        setlocale(LC_ALL, "");

And we assume a few places that the various is* functions DTRT, but we aren't
consistent with that.  We also assume nl_langinfo() returns the character set.

It would seem to me that if setlocale() was a no-op and nl_langinfo always
returned "UTF-8" for the charset, that's all you'd really need.  Does APE
not support that?