Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf that works with fastmail?

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf that works with fastmail?
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 21:28:28 -0500

>So I guess the goal is to put everything in .mh_profile, and leave
>mts.conf alone. Is that right? If so, I guess I should just restore the
>default mts.conf. In particular, should I have mts set to smtp vs
>sendmail?

I know your problem is solved, but I wanted to explain this a bit further.

The idea was, a million years ago(*), that you'd never have to adjust mail
server setting on a per-user basis.  So all of that stuff went into mts.conf
(which generally holds system-wide settings not editable by the end user).

Well, we're a long way from that nowadays.  A lot of commands now have
options to control stuff that was formerly only done via mts.conf, so
a number of things have migrated to .mh_profile.  We still try to keep
a division between global settings and user-specific settings, but that
line is blurrier than it used to be.

--Ken

(*) - Internet years