Re: [Nmh-workers] Weird behavior with non-ascii code in headers

From: Doug Wellington
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Weird behavior with non-ascii code in headers
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:49:43 -0700

> So, *somehow*, still not quite sure how, I got the following
> header in a message:
>
> From: MarXa Soler Heredia <address@hidden>
>
> where the 'X' is a 0xED character (accented i), totally bereft of any encoding
> that should have been there.
>
> This apparently gives multiple parts of nmh indigestion in components,
>
>[SNIP]

I think this ties in with my Yahoo Groups email header parsing problem
where scan can't deal with incorrectly formed header lines.  I can see
two areas to explore:

1) Make command processing more robust.
2) Validate header upon incorporation.

I think it would be great to make all commands a bit more robust when
dealing with errors like this, but it seems to me that having some kind
of header validation/correction at the beginning of the process would
help avoid these problems.  I took a quick look at inc.c, and it appears
someone was already working on massaging the "From" line, but that code
block is commented out.

Should we have a standalone header validation program that is only run
for cases like this or should it be some kind of subroutine that can be
called by other commands?

Regards,
Doug

P.S. this will show my lack of familiarity with nmh code (so far), but
do we care about RFC 5335 compliance at all?