Re: [Nmh-workers] Setup help???

From: Bob Carragher
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Setup help???
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 13:36:32 -0700

Thanks for the response, Ken!

On Thu, 02 May 2013 08:56:03 -0400 Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> wrote:

> First off ... you didn't mention a crucial piece of information: the
> version of nmh you're running.

My apologies!  It's version 1.3-1 (pretty ancient, I guess, but
that's what's tied to my version of Ubuntu -- something else I
need to update).

> >This has generally worked, although (because I use sendmail) this adds
> >the line
> >
> >     Sender: <laptop-userID>@<ISP>
>
> This makes me think you're running something older than the latest
> version of nmh.  Starting with 1.5, nmh will no longer create Sender:
> header automatically; in fact, if you really want one, you have to add
> it yourself.  Also, there's a much cleaner way of configuring your local
> identity that works better with more modern configurations (like yours).
> Nmh 1.5 was released last June, so it's not exactly brand-spanking new.

I very much look forward to using 1.5, then!

Yes, the version I'm using doesn't allow me to configure the
"Sender:" field, which was the first thing I try.  NMH gives me
the following error message:

     whom: illegal header line -- Sender:

I wasn't aware that it was NMH that adds in the Sender: field.
I thought it was sendmail.  In fact, my "fix" (as I mentioned in
the other followup on this thread, and after a lot of googling)
was to reconfigure sendmail to remap my local (illegal) address
to "address@hidden" instead.

Happily, I was able to do this without needing to reconfigure
NMH (although I recognize that the sendmail "solution" is really
a hack, and that the configurability you describe with the 1.5
version of NMH would by far be preferred).

                                Bob