Re: [Nmh-workers] Ordering of Parts by mhlist.

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Ordering of Parts by mhlist.
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 08:56:49 -0400

Ralph wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     $ mhlist
>      msg part  type/subtype              size description
>     19696       multipart/alternative     4785
>          1     text/html                 2787
>          2     text/plain                1680
>     $
>
> The email has subtype plain first, then html.  I know this from show(1)
> so it's then a bit odd to then see them flipped by mhlist.  Does mhlist
> deliberately rank html above text?  Is it alphabetical?

It's reverse order of the parts of a mulitipart/alternative
(only).  All other parts are listed in their order of
appearance in the message.

> mhlist(1) doesn't mention order AFAICS.  Personally, I'd prefer the
> email's order rather than add a layer of change for what seems little
> gain.

I believe it's to convey the "order of preference" of RFC 1341,
Sec. 7.2.3.  Given that, I think the order make sense.

> BTW, the header line has many spaces after `description'.

That should be easy to fix.  The current printf format
specification for it is %-36s.  ("It" is "description".)
%s should take care of it, right?