Re: [Nmh-workers] Type in the mark man page

From: norm
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Type in the mark man page
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 08:17:38 -0700

David Levine <address@hidden> writes:
>Norm wrote:
>
>> The mark man page (version nmh-1.5) has:
>>
>>      'As expected, the command "mark -sequence foo -delete all" deletes the
>> sequence "foo" from the current folder.'
>>
>> I think that what is meant is
>>
>>      'As expected, the command "mark -sequence foo -delete all" deletes all
>> the messages in the current folder from the sequence "foo".'
>
>When I first read that, I started to think that it deletes
>messages.  When I got to the "from" clause, that impression got
>fixed.  But I think it's confusing.
>
>And the current wording is correct.  What don't you like about it?

I read that wording at least four times before sending my Email. Each
time, I read it as meaning:

        'As expected, the command "mark -sequence foo -delete all" deletes
        [all the messages in] the sequence "foo" from the current folder.'

Yes, the present wording is confusing. At least, it confused me. Observe, that
everywhere else in that man page "delete" means delete messages, so maybe I'm
entitled to a bit of confusion.

    Norman Shapiro