Re: [Nmh-workers] Dodgy $LINK in generated Makefile

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Dodgy $LINK in generated Makefile
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 18:41:58 -0500

>For now I can address the clang -ansi issue by writing a filter for
>buildbot to have it ignore that diagnostic when counting compilation
>warnings.  But in the long run we really need to write our own compiler
>detection macro that can just set CFLAGS and friends in one swell foop
>based on the (compiler,version) tuple.  This current business of probing
>individual flags with a test compile is error-prone in and of itself,
>and it's dog slow.

Well, I see that Autoconf guarantees that if it finds you're using GCC
it will set the GCC variable to "yes".  Are those -Wxx options GCC-isms?
If so, we could at least for now conditionalize the checking for them
on whether or not you're using GCC.  And .... hmm, you know, -ansi is
already conditionalized with GCC, so I'm wondering what is going wrong
there; in a perfect world, it shouldn't be adding -ansi to that.

Looking at those warning flags more closely ....

- I would like to fix the damn signed comparison warnings; we're particularly
  bad about that.
- I did fix some of the "clobber" warnings.