Re: [Nmh-workers] inc, slocal, procmail, ...

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] inc, slocal, procmail, ...
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 15:19:09 -0500

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 14:30:48 -0500, Ken Hornstein said:
> >One thing to keep in mind when thinking about that line is that inc is
> >typically synchronous, where our use of fetchmail/procmail (or whatever)
> >is asynchronous. By the time we step up to MH, everything is already in
> >a folder or in the local maildrop ready for +inbox (or already in
> >+inbox). I don't want to have to wait for inc to go to my remote server.
>
> I just timed inc ... to go to my POP server, which included Kerberos
> authentication (4 extra round trips), download a small test message
> (session was encrypted), write it out (to a network filesystem, no less),
> and exit, it took:
>
>         0.04 real         0.01 user         0.00 sys
>
> Are you really THAT impatient, Bill? :-)  Ok, fine ... going across the
> global internet for all that will be a lot worse.  But most of the time
> I never notice it unless there's a problem.

I admit I didn't check my mail Tuesday or Wednesday, as I was
taking some time off.  As a result, I had 3,960 pieces of mail
waiting for me (of which 1,993 were from the linux-kernel firehose,
and a bunch of other high-volume sources).

Yeah, under those circumstances, 'inc' can sit there for a while. :)