Re: [Nmh-workers] The function, void admonish (char *what, char *fmt, ..

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] The function, void admonish (char *what, char *fmt, ...)
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 09:28:19 -0500

Norm wrote:

> It seems to me (it's been decades since I programmed in C) that
> admonish does very little for programmers, except induce them to
> issue frustratingly ambiguous (sometimes dangerously ambiguous)
> error messages; that directly calling advertise would be very little
> extra trouble and would avoid that inducement. I'm not suggesting a
> wholesale elimination of all 89 present calls to admonish. I'm
> merely suggesting that admonish be deprecated via an appropriate
> comment, in error.c, just above admonish.

admonish() tacks the "continuing..." string onto whatever it
passes along to advertise().  That's all it does.

Calling advertise() would be no extra trouble.  But I don't see
your point.  Is "continuing..." not always appropriate?

If there are dangerously ambigous warning messages, they'll have
to be fixed one at a time.  Suggestions welcome :-)